Monday, March 16, 2015

GQ Korea - March 2015 - Bad Girl, Good Girl | HER - Ailee


GQ Korea - March 2015

I’ve also lived in New Jersey, though not for very long.
Oh? Really? Perhaps, in Bergen County?

It was in Newport.
That’s pretty far from me. I’ve lived in Bergen County as well as Union County. Near Rutgers University.

You attended Pace University, right? I’ve played basketball south of there once.
In New York City, Manhattan?

Yes. Next to the Brooklyn Bridge. Have you walked across it before? Wasn’t it scary?
Uh, it was really beautiful to me

If you look down from the bridge you can see the river amongst the trees.
Oh yes.. I didn’t look down

You only walked looking forward?
I have a fear of heights…. I went to see where the locks are hanging, and to look at some graffiti

Have you ever placed a lock there yourself?
I have no one to lock it with… but I have hung one for broadcast. I’ve never hung one when I was in America.

I saw some videos of before your debut, where you sang Rihanna’s “Unfaithful” on NBC <Maury Show>, and the video you uploaded to youtube of Whitney Houston’s Saving All My Love For You.” If you compare yourself now to then, do you feel like you’ve gotten stronger?
I’m not sure. I think I sing better the more I do it, since after coming to Korea I’ve had a lot more opportunity to sing. I dont really know. I can’t really feel a distinction whether something is different or not.

You look like a different person. It was a few years back, after all. If we put a name to it, can we attribute it to “Korean Makeup?”
Yes, that’s right. At that time my skin was a bit darker. I lived close to the beach. My hair was also super black. My methods of applying makeup were also different. So I think there’s quite a difference in appearance.

I think it’s harder for you to realize the difference in appearance than singing.
As for skin tone, that’s easier to tell. I guess it’s because I don’t go out into the sun very often. Haha. I’m usually always making music and sleeping late at night.

During your “periods of inactivity” don’t you feel like playing?
Ah, these days I haven’t been having those thoughts. Interestingly enough.

You’re twenty-seven now, though.
I don’t know. These days I’ve been caught up in The Sims… Ah, is it okay for me to say this?

Why? You can’t (not allowed to) play games?
Just… Yes, I like games.

So then, is your hobby playing games?
I really like puzzles. I can solve a thousand piece puzzle in a day. It takes me about… three hours? for solve a five hundred piece puzzle.

Do you go to parties or clubs? We’ve seen many an idol group member around lately.
It’s been a long time since I’ve gone to one. I can have fun at a club for about twenty minutes and then things aren’t fun anymore. Since it’s really loud...

A woman who likes puzzles more than clubs.
I also like to cook.

What are you best at doing?
Just anything. Like stews?

Before promotions for your most recent mini album <Magazine>, the fact that you lost ten kilograms became a big story in the news. How did it feel becoming a person who reveals her dieting method?
I’m thankful. Truthfully, I’m not the type of person who cares about that type of thing. Many people asked me as well. I just wanted to let everyone know. It almost felt like I became a missionary.

It all comes out if you search for it. “Shrimp, beef, chicken breast, crab, two cups of vegetable juice, and one piece of fruit.”

After eating like that, there’s no way you can gain weight again. When I normally eat, I can gain a natural 2~3 kilograms. But after that diet it’s not so easy.

Is there anything about you people often misunderstand?
They think I’m very good at Korean.

You don’t understand almost more than 90%?
Yes. Before when I was at home in America or hanging out with Korean friends I spoke Korean. But there weren’t many often times that difficult vocabulary was used. When I first started doing broadcasts, I didn’t understand a thing. Even when I was asked a question, I didn’t know what was going on. Now, too, it’s about the same.

Before, the songs that you recorded and uploaded to youtube were mostly slow and emotion-stirring. Mariah Carey’s “Hero”, Miley Cyrus’ “The Climb”, etc. Did you want to become a singer who sang songs like that?

It was nothing like that. If you were to record dance songs or the more exciting songs, you would need a chorus for it to sound good, but without it, the songs would just seem a little dull. But at that time I only had one camera. So I think that’s why I chose simpler songs that could be sung in just one take.

In any case, you chose songs that you thought would be better to record. There are so many songs in the world, which do you think fits you the best?
A song that fits me the best? My own songs, haha.

The songs you sang after debut?
Yes. When I recieve a song, at first it’s just that. A song. But after I sing it, I start to get attached to it. I think little by little, they become my songs, my belongings, mine.

When you first received a song did you like it 100%?
There were and weren’t songs like that.

I feel you’ve listened to a lot of “original” songs while growing up. But of course, after coming back to Korea and having to sing songs, are they different from what you thought? [**T/N: What did I do here?]
At first it was a jumble. “Will these songs suit me?” But now I really like them. There aren’t many of those types of songs in Korea. Females singing these powerful types of songs. The generations are changing. Women are becoming more confident, and there are a lot of really awesome female singers now. I want to express the hearts of those women.

Do you consider yourself a strong woman?
There are times I do and times i don’t. At first I was unfamiliar. My good friends often say um… strong appearance, weak heart. That I’m strong from the front but weak on the inside. I’m not like that. I want to be someone who goes around, like in the lyrics of “U&I “ and “I’ll Show You”

A new song came out today. It’s called “Kiss”, and features Wheesung. It seems you’ve found a really fitting song.
Really? It’s nothing like that. I can only think of “kiss” as a normal kind of sweet expression. But in detail, it’s the first time I’ve heard such prettily delivered lyrics.

“Make me able to play music. Make my heart able to dance. Mix my sometimes soft, sometimes thorny emotions for me.” [T/N: IDK if these are correct translations to the lyrics] I wish you would have more conversations that are straightforward like that. Like, for example, a repeated offense. [T/N: Again, what is this??? What is Korean? I fail.]
More straightforward than the words in the songs I’ve been singing? Like, “Get lost”, things like that?

Rather than that, be a female singer who can confidently expresses more sexual implications.
Ah, I agree. The first thing to a song is the message. So I think expressing things like that aren’t a bad idea.

Who do you think is really good at singing?
Beyonce. Her performance and external qualities are exceptional.

Did you watch the Grammy’s a few days ago? Beyonce also performed.
No, I couldn’t watch it. Ah, don’t talk about it. I still haven’t seen anything. I’m going to download and watch it.

The pop market nowadays is mostly run by females. The nominations for “Record of the Year” at the Grammy’s, other than Sam Smith, all were female musicians. Meghan Trainor, Iggy Azalea, SIA, Taylor Swift. In particular, “Bad Girls” were at their prime. What do you think about contending?
Like Rihanna? Spinning a chair on stage. Haha. I’ve never thought about it before. Even though if it were a music video, I’d be able to try it out.

What type of appearance do you want to portray?
I don’t have anything like that. If I compare it to colors, what colors would I be. If you ask people what they feel (when they listen to my music), they will all say different things. I want to stay like that.

You’ve succeeded with hit songs about a strong woman. Is it about time for that to change?
I’ve also thought about that. At this point the composer is only giving me strong songs. She’s a scary unnie. Haha. I want to try some more loveable (adorable/sweet) songs on my next album.

If you could be reborn into any time and any place, where would you want to be born?
If I were to reborn, I’d still want to be me. This generation has really treated me well. Like with my songs, I’m very thankful that I’m able to make the music I want to.

Is Ailee a person with good fortune?
Yes. Extremely good.