Thursday, December 3, 2015

Genie Music Special - Royal Pirates Come Back with a Whole New Look



(The Royal Pirates Have Come Back w/ Album [3.3] and a Whole New Look
RP’s 3rd EP [3.3] is a historical milestone in their musical career. Moreover, this comeback after a long break signifies a new re-birth for the band.)

♦ INTRO | Royal Pirates Have Come Back with a Whole New Look
After a year and four months, RP (Royal Pirates) have made their comeback with their third EP [3.3]. Genie Music is now revealing the contents of the honest interview they had with RP at the album showcase on November 30, at Hongdae’s West Bridge Live Hall.


♦ ALBUM | Royal Pirates’ 3rd EP Album [3.3]
The album [3.3] holds meaning as the band’s re-birth. In the process of making and perfecting the meaningful album [3.3], the Royal Pirates have overcome many personal difficulties and have matured by bounds. They have worked together with a world renowned top producer in America and even China, former member and producer of legendary group SOLID, Jae Chong to create a total of six songs that are of varying genres, but all appealing.


♦ VIDEO | Title Song ‘Run Away’ MV


♦ SPECIAL | Royal Pirates Speak Honestly about Their 3rd RP [3.3]


Q1. You’ve come back after a year and four month absence. What meaning have you put into this [3.3] album?
A1. M: People say that the number “3” can mean “perfection” or “certainty.” We have three members, and this is our third album, so we think “3” is a perfect summation of the album so we named it [3.3].


Q2. This album is much different from the previous in not only genre but also tone. What was the reason for this change?
A2. SY: While preparing for this album, each of the members had many concerns to think about. We didn’t know what direction we wanted to make our music go in, or how to improve in the future. While those conflicts kept escalating, suddenly our bassist James got into an accident. Hearing that he might not be able to play the bass anymore left us all in a state of despair. Even so, James overcame it well, and came back not on the bass but on the keyboard. Thanks to that the band formation and sound changed a lot but I’m still extremely satisfied with the result.


Q3. What sort of song is the title track “Run Away”?
A3. M: “Run Away” is the song that truly reflects our new sound as musicians in a band. The song is a fresh mix of rock and EDM and has a strong sound made by incorporating Break Beat into modern rock, and we’ve enlisted a unique DJ scratch to make music that is even more powerful and has more of an impact and performance. “Run Away” is an expression of the energy that people need so they can overcome the harshness reality and frustration they feel. In reality you need to be patient and wait, never give up and challenge everything. That’s how this song exists!


Q4. You worked together with SOLID’s Jae Chong, as your producer. How was it? Are there any stories you can tell us?
A4. J: When I was little I never really listened to a lot of Korean music, but the only Korean singer I knew of and liked was SOLID. This spring we worked on writing a songs but it always felt like something was missing and it was difficult to continue. At that time I thought of Jae and I suggested to the company that we work with him at least once. Our President said that she was actually looking into contacting him. I sent him a message and then the company, then the members each got dragged into it. After we finished up the first son g”Let U Go” we set to work on “Too Fast” and that day I got into the accident so everything was put on hold. I think we were able to come this far because of Jae’s positive energy and belief in us. I’m only thankful for him.


Q5. What are the member’s favorite songs on this album?
A5. J: The album’s first track, “Let U Go.” It’s the first song we made after we made Jae, and it’s also the last track I was able to play my bass for. So that’s why “Let U Go” holds a little more meaning for me than the others.

S: Honestly, there isn’t a song on this album that I would have left out- I like all of them. If I had to pick one it would be “Too Fast”. James got into his accident while I was working on this song, and at that moment we all went through a lot of changes. It became the instrument that let us resolve our difficulties and inner conflicts, so I have a lot of attachment to this song.

M: I personally really like the song “Without You” a lot. It’s a song with feeling! It’s an extremely sad song, and also bittersweet…. if you listen to this song, I think it will strike a chord in the hearts of men. Since I’m a real man… when I sing it and even when I listen to it, I really enjoy it!! It’s my style. As you listen to them, all of the songs are good!


Q6. Please say a word to the Genie Music Family, and talk of your plans for the future.
A6. S: Please show the [3.3] album that we confidently presented to you a lot of love, and I expect to see a lot more of you in the future so please anticipate it and continue to support us.
J: Being able to stand on stage again is really like a dream to me. I’d like to sincerely thank the Genie Music Family who supported me and waited for me- it’s due to you that I can stand on stage again. In the future I won’t hesitate to show you more activities and performances! Please remember us, if you continue to listen to RP’s music you’ll become happier! Please listen to it a lot, everyone!
M: First off, this is an album we really enjoyed working on so I hope the Genie Music Family can also listen to it and enjoy it. Especially if you listen to it in the car, the feelings hit you straight on! We plan on continuing to bring you music that we like and through our performances and various other activities, showing and letting you listen to our music. I hope you continue to anticipate us and support us. There’s not much left to 2015, so I hope that you all finish off your year well and healthily.


♦ PHOTO | Showcase Photos


This is RP on November 30, 2015 rehearsing for their showcase at 8pm. You can see the members and Producer Jae Chong carefully checking over the instruments.


RP played all the songs on the [3.3] album live, and it burned up the concert hall. You can also see DJ Enik, who has a special guest feature in this album.


RP is happy to be spending time with the fans at the showcase after their year and four month absence.


We would like to thank all the fans who came, and will continue to wish RP all the best in their future activities!


♦ From RP To Genie Music (Greeting Video)


(To. Genie Music Family! Thanks for coming to the showcase! Let’s meet often in the future too~~)


♦ EVENT | Listen to Royal Pirates’ 3rd EP [3.3] and leave your comments on it below!

Participation Period: 12/3/2015 (Wed) - 12/17/2015 (Wed)
Winner Announcement: 12/24/2015 (Wed)
Prize: Signed CD (5 people)


© Genie Music
Translations by SSRP