Tuesday, December 22, 2015

[January 2016] Star Essay: From Me.. To You



For six years they’ve talked with one another and made music together, so the Royal Pirates know each other better than anyone else. Today they’ve exchanged a few questions and answers.

James → EXSY
 
Recently, as EXSY who plays the drums, your stage position has changed from the back of the stage to the front. How do you feel about this?
Rather than the front, I’ve moved to the side, wouldn’t you say?
 
Are you by chance not satisfied with this change?
Haha. Not at all, that’s not it. Since it was only me in the back before, I did get a little lonely. Now I can head-bang with you on the side, and exchange glances with you, so I like that it’s become easier to interact.
 
For the time you’ve been sitting in the back, what did you think of Moon and I?
The way you gave energy to the crowds was quite impressionable, and it was nice to see Moon enjoy the music.
 
Whose back side was more charming?
If it’s back sides we’re talking about then it’s the one with the pretty backside (butt), Moon, of course. Haha.
 
If you were to change the format, what position do you want to try?
I want to try dabbling in your MIDI instrument. There’s the fact that I personally want to try it, and that you look so cool on stage I want to play it too.
 
I think my appearance has a changed a lot from when we first met, but what was EXSY’s first impression of me?
You were a little like Aladdin. You were tall, your hair was long, and you had a beard. I don’t know if it’s because you lived in California or not but your skin was much darker than it is now, as well. Since you couldn’t speak Korean well, I thought you were an American.
 
That’s right. It was like that. (Laugh) During that time, was there anything you wanted to say to me, but didn’t?
We live together now. I sleep a lot and wake up late but you get up first and always separate the trash on your own. For that, I want to say I’m sorry, and thank you.
 
Do you mean to say that you won’t be saying those words aloud in the future?
In the future, I’ll say thank you. Haha.
 
Is there anything you want me to fix or change?
There are so many things you are so good at, but you always have the habit of saying you are lacking, so I would like you to change that. I hope you can also gain some confidence. I think that’ll do for now.

 
EXSY → Moon

Since you’re the vocal, I don’t think you see much of me-who plays the drums- and James- who’s playing the MIDI- very much, do you?
I can’t see you but I can feel you.I can feel whether you are enjoying the stage, or whether you are gaining too much stress. I think I can feel this because we’ve been performing together for so long.

When you feel us, what conditions are we in?
From the back, I can always feel that all energy is just being poured out of you. You don’t think too much about whether your neck or back will hurt the next day. On the flip side, James thinks a lot. I’m like this too, but he is sensitive to whether people are having a good time, or what direction to bring the performance in.
 
Then, what do you think of your own stage performance?I have severe ups and downs, so if my mentality falls once I become depressed, but on days where I have a lot of confidence my actions are a lot bigger. That’s why I think I need to learn how to be more confident for future performances.

If you were to change positions, what would you want to try?
I want to try the drums.

Do you remember when we first met?
Yes. We met at church, didn’t we? Back then you had a really cold and sharp image. I was a lot more brazen than I am now, so I didn’t know that we would become this close. We were total opposites, so it’s amazing that we’ve lasted this long together.
 
Since we’ve become such close friends, what type of person would you say I am?
You tend to show off some bizarre behavior only to those who are close to you, so I think you are an amusing friend. If you do these things on broadcast, I think you’ll become a great hit. However, as they can be quite defamatory, it’s a shame it won’t be shown.

Is there anything you want me to fix or change?
You sigh a lot. You are very worried about things?
 
Just living is difficult. Haha.
Let’s all work hard until the say you don’t sigh comes! It suddenly became sad. Haha.
 
In our time spent together we exchanged a lot of songs, and listened to many as well. Is there a song that you remember the most?
I think the songs James made in the metal genre were all very good. I personally really like EXSY’s song “First Love.” I’m only saying this now, it must have been at a time when I had feelings for someone, but I was really touched by that song.


Moon → James

 
Since you’ve changed from bass to MIDI, I think you can see the other members on stage better. What do you think?
You’re right. When I played the bass I was focusing on the instrument, and while making contact with the audience I didn’t really look at the members. Since I’m in a fixed station now, I can see you a little better. I can see your features very well.
 
What types of features?
Moon, when you sing you try to appeal to the audience and give slight winks and bite your lips. (laugh) When I monitor the performances you can feel it too, but onstage EXSY drums very powerfully.
 
Since you hurt your hand you started playing MIDI, was it difficult to learn?
It was super difficult.
 
What about it was hard?
Since it was a new instrument to me, it took a long time to get used to it. I’m making the same music, but it was like I was in a totally different world.
 
What do you think are differences between the bass and MIDI?
While playing the bass, my thoughts and feelings are expressed freely through my hands. With the MIDI, it’s become difficult in that I have to think about each move, and draw a picture in my head. The interesting thing about it is that I can more directly express what I am thinking. It’s fun.
 
Watching the recent music broadcast performances it seems you’ve developed a new formation? While I am singing, to the side you have these sharp gestures with your hands and head.
I’m doing that with the profound meaning of making my painful past fly away, and making a new dream. Haha. Honestly I just made that up, it’s just what I do when I’m on stage.
Can I see you as when you were in your metal band days?
Yes. You can see it that way. We’re making a lot more powerful sounds than we have before, so you can think back to those times.
 
It’s been six years since we’ve been in this band together. Do you remember when we first met?
Of course. I remember that the bass was really charming. After speaking with you I slowly gained a strange sense of trust and began speaking more confidently.

Then, will you tell me about my charming points?
Ah…
 
Is that something you need to think about with such difficulty?
Haha. I like that you’re still the same as when we first met in America, and not much about you has changed. That’s why I think we can keep going on together for a long time.


 
English Translations by setsailroyalpirates~ Please credit!