Monday, December 28, 2015

[15.12.28] [M+Interview] Reborn as RP, New Start


The group hailed as a flower boy band, Royal Pirates have returned. After a year and four months, not only has the Royal Pirates’s music style changed, they’ve even changed their name to RP.
 
Their most recent album “3.3” has the simple meaning of being the third album of a three member band, however it can also represent the perfection of a triangle. In the midst of composing more than ten songs, they were all scrapped and whole new songs were made. With former SOLID member Jung Jaeyoon as their producer, RP was reborn.


“When I was in America the only Korean singers I knew of were SOLID and Baby VOX. I was a fan of “Holding On to This Night.” I was close with Aziatix member Eddie, and when I went to their studio I got to meet Jae. Since we both lived in California, we quickly became close.” (James)


Rather than leaving all of the producing to Jae, he was initially only going to work on one or two songs with RP. After being highly satisfied with the end results, he not only continued to help with and produce their whole album, but became RP’s mentor as well. During this album making process, with rock music at its heart, RP’s music also changed to include the EDM genre.


“It’s clear that Jae-hyung’s understanding of rock music is high. Our previous producers were good, but I always felt that there was a difference in opinion on what rock music was to them. Jae-hyung knows the genre well and understands it, and thanks to that our horizons have widened.” (Moon)


“Jung Jaeyoon-sunbaenim gave us a lot of advice on our difficult times. Before we began to work on songs he told us about his life, and suggested how we can put our emotions into our songs. “Run Away” is a song that was made while we were talking about wanting to run away from the hardships of reality. ” (EXSY)





You may say that it was after meeting Jung Jaeyoon that RP’s music had changed, however it was James’ unexpected accident that was the band’s new turning point. In charge of the bass in the band, as James was entering a restaurant in Itaewon, the glass of the front door came crashing towards him and as a result he badly hurt his wrist to the point were it was in danger of being amputated. He has currently undergone surgery and is receiving rehabilitation treatments everyday, however he has had to let go of the bass that he’s held since he was young. Due to this, James has changed his position to the keyboard.


“After I heard about the accident I went to the hospital and was in a great state of shock. Right at that time they were debating whether to amputate or not, and to lift the mood I said, “Well, you can play the keyboard now.” But then it really became like that. There’s power in words.” (Moon)


“I didn’t know when I would recover, so I told my members to promote without me, but they told me they would wait. I wanted to help them in any way I could, so I ended up playing the keyboard. I used to compose on the guitar, but now I think of the chords in my head and play it out on the keyboard. No matter how I look at it, our horizons have broadened. After giving up the guitar, I’ve entered a whole new world.” (James)


It is due to this accident that James’ favorite song on this album is the one he last played the bass guitar in, “Let U Go.” Since this was an incident that could have led to the breakdown of the band, all of RP’s traumas are sublimated into the music of this album.


“All the music we’ve made before was hopful and bright. For this album, we’ve sincerely expressed all the feelings we felt at the time (of the accident). We’ve put our difficult and sad feelings into it, and we’ve become a lot more free. The title “Run Away” is a song that contains the energy needed to overcome our difficulties. I hope the people who listen to it can relate.” (Moon)


Maybe it’s because their feelings have been poured into this album, that the feedback has been coming in quite quickly, in comparison to their previous releases. RP’s reach as a global band has been getting wider. Just like when the members spent their childhoods in America, spreading their name before debut as youtube stars- so has their newest album become so popular it has garnered first place on the Singapore Itunes rock chart. RP and fans alike are especially happy because the members have said they’ve finally discovered their own color as a band.





“If you mention bands in Korea, people often think of the major groups and the indie groups, but we wanted to be both. Up until now we haven’t been able to show outwardly show that side of us. Even if we promote mainstream, we still want to maintain the essence and musicality of a band.” (Moon)


“I used to like complex songs and made them, but now rather than complicated and complex songs, I like ones that are easily accepted and that people can easily understand. Of course, this album was not made with mainstream music in mind, but even so I think there are parts to it that even the main public can listen to and enjoy.” (EXSY)


“This album is just the start. There are still so many things we want to show you. Since I was in the hospital because of my accident, I was only able to take part in three songs on this album. I was frustrated that I couldn’t be of more help. But after listening to the finished products, I feel really proud. I want to show you so much more in the future. That’s why I wish I can qucikly get back to composing. ” (James)


MBN Star Reporter Nam Woojung
♠ English Translations by setsailroyalpirates~ Please credit~~