Monday, November 30, 2015

151130 [3.3] Album Showcase Q&A

Reading up on articles from the showcase in reference to James’ accident. Here are excerpts:
When the door fell on James, the doctors weren’t sure whether to sever it or not. He recalls his thoughts during the accident, “I wondered if it was a dream. There was so much blood I even thought it was possible that I could die” Moon added, “[The injury] was extremely severe. We thought he wouldn’t be able to make music anymore.” -Newsis
Bassist James put the team in danger when he got into an accident this past summer. He told us in a comparatively bright tone, “As soon as I entered the restaurant the door came down. I’ve never played anything other than the bass before so changing an instrument was baffling to me. After the accident it was extremely difficult. When I got hit my first thought was that it was a dream. I was so hurt that my wrist was almost severed. I’m still receiving treatments today. I was able to get through this because of the fans.” Moon recalls, “At first I thought he was joking, but when I went to the hospital he was already in surgery. It took a long time. As soon as I saw him next I said, “Well, now you can play the keyboard.” I tried to lighten up the mood but it really became like that.” -OSEN

NOW. OKAY. They also talk about it in this video (18:56-21:45) from the showcase. (I’m not translating the whole thing, just James’ part.) Moon says that at the hospital the doctors were debating whether to cut the hand off entirely or not. (Thankfully they did not.) James says, “The first thought I had was “Is this a dream?“ because… My bone…was like.. exposed. It was really- (the crowd is ahh/ew -ing) Sorry, everybody. But, that’s what it is. (laughs) My next thought was “I have to cancel tomorrow’s tanning appointment.” (???) And then “I can’t swim anymore.” Then, “I can’t make music anymore” and then “I could die.” I really thought that. There was just so much blood. But.. I think God really saved me. […] I’m still receiving treatment.. and actually my physical therapist is in here somewhere… I invited him. He would know how I’m doing… [M: There he goes! | J: I don’t think so.] But anyway, I’m still recovering and the bass… I don’t know about bass anymore. But, I will do my best. I can’t tell you how much it meant… the messages- I read every single one. Thank you.”


EDIT: He did also mention cancelling his appearance in KBS’ 예체능 (Our Neighborhood Arts and Physical Education)

Why is the album called “3.3″?
- Very simply (and jokingly) 1) there are three members and it’s their third album ; “3″ is a perfect number that can stand for 2) Triangle (perfect shape) and 3) Past, Present, Future
Which song on the album do you like the most and why?
J: Let U Go ; Has his last bass performance before the accident
M: Without You ; It’s kind of dark and I like it
SY: Too Fast (but he really likes all of them) ; Holds a lot of feelings, since it was written after James’ accident


Why are you promoting with “RP” instead of “Royal Pirates”?
- Because it’s hard for Koreans to pronounce. > “Loyal Pilates”, “Royal Firates”


Do you have any fun stories from the time spent prepping for the album?
J: Just being with Moon makes everything fun. He’s a very strange friend. But since I’ve gotten used to him, or I’ve become more strange. We learned a lot from Jae- his time in SOLID, the things he overcame… “it’s a priceless experience”
M: Rather than one single experience, every day is a funny moment. (For example?) I can’t give you one.
S: There were a lot of fun videos we watched, you can see if you go to Jae’s IG. There were a lot of funny times while we were working on songs. (They make the track first then write the lyrics, and Moon likes to goof around with them)


What is your favorite part of the MV?
J: When Moon throws away the screen that shows his lips moving
M: When we shot during the “storm”
S: I liked the whole MV. How we were able to put our thoughts into it.


What did you like about the shoot?
J: Breaking the shield with the guitar. But it was difficult to do, with only one hand.
M: The “snow” scene… but it got a little uncomfortable later on
S: The fans brought coffee and churros~ :)


Why did you go from Sooyoon to EXSY? (16:18)
[The vid skips here :(] Just like how we changed from “Royal Pirates” to “RP” I wanted to change my name to a stage name as well. “Ex-Sooyoon” (He is not the “simple” Sooyoon he was before. Exceptional. Exceed.)
- Might be able to go to Japan in January; Wants to have a concert in Korea in 2016.


Good and Bad points about the members:
S > J: Good: He’s hardworking, and he exercises well (even though he is hurt) ; Bad: YOU EXERCISE TOO MUCH!
S > M: “I have so many things to say. Good things!” Good: He’s got a good personality, so being with him is fun. Makes friends quickly. Learns languages well. ; Bad: HE HAS TOO MANY FRIENDS.
[Missed M > J]
M > S: Good: Stylish, everything looks good on him. He’s smart. Meticulous. **Plays the drums well** ; Bad: Goes to the restroom too often. (Mostly when they’re about to start something) SY: “It’s bc I’m nervous”

Jae, about the members:
J: Manly and outgoing.
M: I got the greatest shock from him. He looks like he’d be quiet and introverted, but when we work he dances… the dance itself is fine but it’s the same one, for an extended period. Sooyoon and I just stand there staring, wondering when it’s going to end. While working I gained a lot of strength from it though.
S: He doesn’t talk much but when he does, he’ll say, “Hyung can we change this?” and he’ll be right. His opinions are spot on. So they all worked on composing but when it’s all said and done it’s Sooyoon’s opinion.