Thursday, September 4, 2014

[14.09.04] [Star Interview] Royal Pirates’ Dream to be Korea’s Representative Rock Band!


[Sports Hankook Media | Reporter Cho Hyunjoo] Their splendid appearance and chiseled height catch the eye. They laugh like mischievous boys but become quite serious when talking about their album. After spending so much time together their tight friendship shines brightly. They are three-member band Royal Pirates (Moon - Sooyoon - James).

The Royal Pirates have recently come back with their second EP album, [Love Toxic] and have come around to find Sports Hankook located in Samil-daero, Jung-gu in Seoul. Pretty boys and skilled, these two modifiers might not seem like they go hand-in-hand, but this group has both, and their idol-like appearance is the first to capture the eye. After praising their looks, they laughed brightly and said, “We’re still shy about hearing those words.”

For the Royal Pirates, this second EP holds a lot of meaning. This is because this album has been released exactly one year and a day since their first single album [Shout Out] was released on August 26, 2013.

"One year’s already passed. If I compare it to the first time, there are a lot of things that have changed. I started with a heavy heart but now I work much more enjoyably. I feel free. There are a lot of things that are going well in regards to music and promotions. It’s a reason for me to look forward to the future." (Moon)

"The time went by really quickly. I worked hard, and a lot of things happened. I was really happy, and in that amount of time I really learned a lot. Rather (than back then), I think things are starting now. I’m more passionate than I was when I debuted." (James)

Unlike Moon (Kim Moonchul, Vocal/Guitar) and Sooyoon (Kim Sooyoon, Drums), who immigrated to America when they were young, James (Lee Joohyun, Bass)- who was born in America- had a hard time in the first half of his debut. He confessed that even seven months prior (to this time), he could not hold an interview by himself. Currently, through the help of many interviews and broadcasts past, and with the help of his members, his Korean has gotten better- to the point where he can express himself with confidence and talk about the things he wants to.

"I always ask my members about things I don’t know. Since they’ve been helping me so much since then, and since I’ve been building up knowledge, my Korean’s got a lot better. It has to be an annoyance whenever I ask something, right? But they never showed it, and always comfortably explained to me, so for that I’m always thankful. (Laugh)" (James)

As the members all compose, arrange, and write lyrics, many of the songs on this album are full of their own colors. This includes the title song “Love Toxic” that Sooyoon has composed, “Haru” which lead vocal Moon both composed and wrote the lyrics to, as well as the song featured in SBS Laws of the City in NY “Seoul Hillbilly”. Adding in bassist James’ own composition- featured as the ending song in SBS Laws of the Jungle, Indian Ocean edition- “Betting Everything” and an English version of the song “You” from their first album, this album has a total of five songs.

""Love Toxic" is a song that was made after a lot of thought. We’re doing the music we want to do, so we hoped the public would garner some interest in us, but our fan base is still small. I wanted to let the public listen to something they could relate to, so I didn’t make it difficult. It’s a song that makes you want to fall in love. The performance is easy and the excited and cheerful sound is something you can feel. Truthfully, our existing fans may hear this song and think our style has changed. We worked hard to make an album with songs that are easy-listening. Instead, we plan to add in more band-like elements to our performances on stage." (Sooyoon)

Moon and James each have variety show experience. Moon has filmed “Laws of the City” in New York, and James has filmed “Laws of the Jungle” in the Indian Ocean. Their presence is as amazing as one would expect. Moon permeates the Casanova aura, stirring the hearts of females in the City. James has captured the eye with his hard muscles in the Jungle.

"Personally it’s a memory I’ll never forget. I’m thankful to have met such good people. After going to New York, I came to like singing a lot more. It became enjoyable. After filming and coming back to Korea there’s a lot of things I wished I had done and I have a lot of regrets, but rather than thinking of that, I have many happy memories. It’s not an opportunity that comes by to someone who had debuted for barely a year, so thank you very much for bringing me in." (Moon)

"The members of "Laws of the Jungle" all made a promise to continue on together until we died. (laugh) The jungle is a really lonely place. I had time for solo survival and since my Korean isn’t the best there were times I didn’t understand the situation. Even so, without a phone and internet I gained a lot of confidence. Truthfully, as it was my first variety, I worried a lot but Kim Byungman-hyung led me well. I still haven’t forgotten his advice when he said ‘You have to make your own character for yourself’." (James)

After Moon returned from filming “Laws of the City” the song “Seoul Hillbilly” came into existence. A month prior to the release of “Seoul Hillbilly” the members went on a Seoul Busking starting at Banpo Bridge, moving on to Shinsadong Garosu-gil, Daehak-ro, Shinchon, and Hongdae Playground.

"It was an opportunity to meet the fans one-on-one and become close. There aren’t a lot of stages that a band can stand on. We started with the thought that since there aren’t, we would make one ourselves. A lot of people came, especially at Daehak-ro and Hongdae, It was fun. I was proud." (Sooyoon)

But not everything was to their satisfaction. Since the sound was unstable, their voices and instruments could not be heard properly. Moon says, “I think that’s the best part of an outdoors performance” adding with a laugh,”That can also become part of the charm.” 

As K Rock band, the Royal Pirates is walking at a pace like none other. After the release of their first mini album [Drawing the Line] in January, by the first week of February, it had already reached 8th place on America’s Billboard World Album Chart. In March they released their first Japanese mini album [Shout Out] and the day after it had reached 2nd place on the Tower Records Shibuya store’s Daily Chart, showing off Royal Pirates’ global strength. But the thing that most leaves them speechless is the love of their Korean fans. What makes this album more special is that it is a product of hard work that holds the Royal Pirates’ own color and their constant hope of gaining popularity.

"I think bands have to be smarter. There are bands who claim their music to be the best but are unknown by the public. But you can’t ignore the public. It’s important that they come together. Our band’s goal is to have both popularity and musicality." (Sooyoon)

"You can be a band that has confidence in your own music but it’s also important to make music that people will like. It’s important that the things I enjoy can become something the public does as well. The global group the Beatles had their individuality but they had popularity as well. I believe we can be a band that has both popularity and a color of their own." (Moon)

The Royal Pirates’ goal is clear. They want to let people listen to and harmonize with their own music. To them, fans are strength, and serve as the reason to have better music, and give better performances.

"We recorded for a music broadcast not too long ago. Before if there were "a lot of people" it would only be about 10 or so people, but this time, really, a LOT of people came. They had placards for us. There were a lot of idols and we were really nervous but since the fans were cheering us on, all the nervousness went away. I’m really thankful. I think it makes a huge difference having people who know us and respond to us, than not having them at all." (Sooyoon)

One year after debut, Royal Pirates is going on to their second year. After asking what their goal as a group is, James hinted at their hopes and dreams by saying, “We want to be a band that represents Korea.”

"They say that geniuses can’t win over people who work hard, and people who work hard can’t win over people who enjoy themselves. Honestly up until this point I haven’t thought that I’ve enjoyed myself. In the future I want to enjoy myself more, and show a realer appearance of Royal Pirates." (Moon)