Friday, September 12, 2014

[14.09.12] [Interview] Royal Pirates, Three Member Band Full of Charms in Both Music and Variety

[OSEN - Reporter Kim Sara] A band with three members of three distinct personalities has arrived. The new group Royal Pirates that debuted last year is comprised of members Moon (guitar-vocal), Sooyoon (drums), and James (bass). The truth is that this skilled band made their start in music in 2008.

When OSEN recently met with the Royal Pirates, we found that they are full of good energy. After having spent a long friendship together, the members are casual with each other and as a new group they are pure and have high-spirited ambitions. They made their comeback on August 27th with their new album and title track Love Toxic, and as much as they’ve come back with love songs, the mood they make is just as lovely.

““Love Toxic” is a playful and bright song. The band’s sound plays together with an electronic sound, and I tried to produce a sexy mood. (laugh) Rather than a decadent sexy, I wanted to go for a more visual and witty concept of sexy. I also wrote the lyrics while thinking of the passionate and daring love I had in the first half of my twenties.” (Sooyoon)




When asked if Sooyoon wanted to pursue a love like that portrayed in his lyrics, he answered, “Before I wouldn’t need to think about it and go for it, but now since I’m so busy… (probably not).” They demonstrated some of their charms by answering truthfully with bright expressions.                

Moon and Sooyoon first met when they attended church in America when they were young. Though they attended different middle schools, they quickly became close and purposely attended the same high school.

“After school we would always be composing. We liked writing songs. We met James in college through a mutual friend. We were introduced right at the time we needed a bassist. We were having trouble because bassists aren’t too popular. (laugh) As soon as we heard he was a good looking bassist we made our decision Before we met we had only communicated through the phone, and he joined the band. That was in 2009.” (Sooyoon)

In 2008 Moon and Sooyoon, who had been promoting as Fading From Dawn, each chose a word they liked and came up with the name “Royal Pirates.” They wanted to change the original name since it was hard, but the new name came out difficult as well, so they had a laugh about it. As Royal Pirates they uploaded a number of famous song covers to their youtube and started gaining popularity, and they would soon find themselves performing in festivals and clubs.

“Truthfully we couldn’t complete our promotions in America. Since we were Asian and had no connections, there weren’t really stages for us to stand on. Since we didn’t have a bassist at first, we couldn’t make a rich sound but we played a lot in Korean festivals or at church. After James joined we attended the music college Musicians Institute together and received three months of training, and later came to perform in famous clubs in Hollywood.” (Sooyoon)

“When I was younger I liked writing songs more than promoting them. Youtube was the exception.” (Moon)

We were curious about how the three who met and promoted in America came to come to Korea. Moon and Sooyoon, who had immigrated to America when they were young had replied that they had already spent about ten long years missing Korea. But for James, who was born and raised in America, making the decision wasn’t easy.

“After seeing our videos our agency got in contact with us. It was then that we started thinking of making our start in the Korean music industry. As we are Korean, we had thoughts of wanting to perform on our homeground.” (Moon)

“To be honest it was really hard for me. I was concerned about it, and at that time didn’t even know 100% who I was myself. I thought if I came to Korea I would be able to find out my identity. I would be able to see how my parents grew up, and I thought it was a good opportunity for Moon and Sooyoon to do music. Before that time, music was only a hobby for me. I was doing tours and performances with bands for a long time before then but I also had thoughts of going to college and focusing on my studies. I wanted to become a professor. However when I met Moon and Sooyoon I thought it would be a lot of fun. I thought we could make good music, and I would be able to find out more about my culture. Right now my life has totally changed.” (James)




Although James is clumsy with Korean, he accurately summed up his own thoughts. Before his recent appearance on SBS variety program”Laws of the Jungle” had viewer’s eyes getting a workout, even before his official debut in Korea, James had activities as a model.

“In America I did a bit of modeling work. While I was part-timing, I would often receive offers to be cast. At first I thought it was impractical, so I rejected the offers. I thought in America, especially for Asians, modelling work is difficult. But one day as I was part-timing in an eatery, a famous photographer came in as a guest. He pleaded with me to have one shoot, so I did it and when he shows it to his friends I was cast immediately. I couldn’t make a lot of money from it. After coming to Korea and before debut a CF opportunity came to me first. I filmed for Shinhan Card and SONY. Modelling work is fun and I would like to continue doing it but I want to do it while making music.” (James)

Each member of the Royal Pirates really have their own differing charms. James, with his strapping good-looks that is popular among the females laughingly says, “When I was younger I was a nerd”, while Moon and Sooyoon each have their own bright individualities as well. The three of them each have points that stand out, but together achieve balance.

“At first there was some trouble with our personalities but now we match quite nicely. Since we know each other so well. We needed time to get to know and understand each other. I think it’s fun that we’re so different. This is also reflected in our music. If you look at us broadly we may seem similar but in detail you’ll see we have many differing tendencies.” (Moon)

“Of course there are differing qualities to us. But by now we’ve learned to acknowledge those points and we’re able to respect them so we don’t fight often. I feel like we’ve passed the point of trouble.” (Sooyoon)

Moon and James in particular have promoted in variety with their appearances in “Laws of the City” and “Laws of the Jungle”, respectively. As an opportunity that came as soon as they debuted, promotions into variety had to have been met with amazed reactions.

“I didn’t even think that an opportunity to be in a variety like this would come so quickly when we haven’t debuted for very long. Personally going to New York was a great experience for me. For two years I’ve only been at the company, working and practicing, so I’ve had thoughts about stepping down from this lifestyle and wanting to go somewhere else. Right at that time I got this opportunity to go abroad and spend three weeks with other people, so it was a vacation for my mind. Work-wise it was a lot of help.” (Moon)

We got the behind the scenes story about “Laws of the City” that instead of Moon, it was almost James who had gone.

“One of the ”Laws of the City” writers was a fan of James. So they were going to go with James but the company said, “All the guys are good, why don’t you meet with all of them.” They recorded our interview session and I suppose I came out interesting. So instead, James went to “Laws of the Jungle”; I think that we each went to a place that suited us.” (Moon)

What is unique about the Royal Pirates is that after debut, in preparation for their next album they’ve done busking all around Korea to gear up. They were not planned performances, but a total of seven guerilla buskings. The locations ranged from Seoul Hongdae, to the Han River, to various street corner performances and all showed off their genuine enjoyment of music.

“It’s something we wanted to do as a band a year ago but since there were so many things to prepare we could not; This time we jumped at the opportunity. We worried that many people would not come. We spent a lot of thought on the public relations of the area, the noise, and and the weather. Actually while we were busking at the Han River it was raining but as soon as we started the performance it had stopped. Thanks to that a rainbow appeared and along with the setting sun we were able to have performance in a good atmosphere.” (Sooyoon)

“We had thought not too prepare too much, so that we could have a casual and impromptu performance. So, whether we were at a place like Hongdae or the Han River, we were able get our bearings and perform. I think we’ve grown musically from the buskings. We were able to interact closely with the fans, and although we haven’t had many performances before we learned some stage manners.” (Moon)



Like this, the Royal Pirates are on a broad road of growth. When asked about their role-models, Moon surprisingly answered with Hollywood’s Leonardo DiCaprio. As usual, Sooyoon and James chose and array of musicians similar to themselves to pay respects to.

“It’s DiCaprio. He started off as a flower-boy but with his own hard work got to his place as a popular actor. Although it’s acting and not music, I want to have an aura and charisma like him. Of course, there are many other artists I look up to as well. I like Paul McCartney’s music.” (Moon)

“For me, it’s the drummers Tony Royster and Travis Barker. Barker was the one who led a minor instrument into the mainstream. This is worldwide. Rather than his drum skills he made his own brand. In Korea Yoon Jongshin-ssi is cool. He is an artist with musicality and overwhelming talent but I also respect him for his fun appearance on variety as well. Due to his image in entertainment his musicality can be buried but he does release a monthly project, and when I listened to his older songs I think they’re outstanding. Even listening to them now, they’re not out of date.” (Sooyoon)

“I like Daft Punk and Rise Against the Machine. Their musical personalities are cool. They do the things they want to well, and my role-model in the Korean entertainment industry is Sean. (?) I really like how he helps out people in the society and makes donations and such. I think he’s a person with a deep heart and he looks happy; I’m jealous.” (James)

While they are currently actively promoting for “Love Toxic”, in the future the Royal Pirates hope to enter into other areas of entertainment and maintain close relations with their fans. The members showed their caring sides by saying, “Being on stage is good but we want to show a more personable side to ourselves.”

“I think that up until now our promotions have been unrefined and messy. I really anticipated promotions this time around, after having gained some confidence and having met and received the fans’ love. I also anticipate meeting with all the future fans. I’m really enjoying myself. I hope we can become more widely known though the public in the future.” (Sooyoon)

“When we first started promotions there was a period of time where it was confusing. If I think about the time we shone the brightest it’s when we were happiest while enjoying ourselves. I think that’s when we shone. During this promotion, and in the future I hope we can enjoy it. I hope the people looking on can enjoy as well.” (Moon)

“I think we shouldn’t forget anything we did with passion. Also, I always want to think in the positive.” (James)

After finishing the interview the Royal Pirates slightly revealed information about a special event they have planned for this meaningful album. They say not to throw away the postcard that is included in with the album, and after ten years of cherishing it they’ll give a present. Whether this is truth is unknown but as it is a collectible postcard, the fans should do well to remember it ten years down the line.

“The album’s title song is good but all the songs on the album have their own good colors. Please listen to and enjoy the other songs on the album as well.” (Royal Pirates)

Reporter Kim Sara, sara326@osen.co.kr | Photos by Reporter Min Kyunghoon, rumi@osen.co.kr