Wednesday, September 10, 2014

[14.09.10] [Interview] Royal Pirates “Rival? Art is Not a Competition”

[MK Star Today Intern Reporter Lee Jungyoung] Daring. In the recent Ice Bucket Challenge craze they’ve nominated the three presidents of Korea, China, and Japan- Who exactly are the Royal Pirates? Once known as youtube stars, known as Super Rookie thanks to Song King Cho Yongpil, and now with members appearing on the running “Laws” series, they’ve been starting fires in the hearts of females everywhere. They are the “flower boy” band quickly building popularity as each day passes. 


image

◇ “Music is just another name for Love - Sydney Smith” 

How many classes of love might there be. Daring love, new love, etc., all types of love were realized on the 27th with the release of Royal Pirates’ EP album “Love Toxic”, materializing their own senses and language.

“To me, this album can be expressed as an “album about love”. There was a time I was able to choose love, but I missed the right timing. After that, the girl I liked started dating another guy and that was hard. “Betting Everything” is a song with those feelings in mind. I drew a story a story about a regretful love (heart). If an opportunity like that ever came again, I definitely won’t let it pass.” (James)

The Royal Pirates have participated in the making of all the songs on this album, and have the created lyrics to go with the beautiful tunes. What sort of meaning can this album, so perfectly tuned to each of their stories, have?

“I want to say this album is about ”personality.” Especially since all the songs have our experiences written into them, I think you are able to see each person’s feelings. The song I wrote called “Haru” is about the good parts of missing someone you love. A budding, fresh love makes its appearance then. “Seoul Hillbilly” was written when I came back from filming SBS ‘Laws of the City’ in New York. There are a lot of people who are chasing their dreams in the city. There’s a line in the song that goes, “If I go one step further, in the end I’ll be smiling.” I left a hopeful message that even in difficult situations, don’t break down. I expressed my own love.” (Moon) 

“I think of it as a stepping stone. Up until now I’ve felt disorderly during promotions, but now I have a grasp on it and since I’ve worked hard to prepare for it, I feel like I can do anything. The feeling is like going one step at a time. I wrote our title song “Love Toxic.” I put into it the reckless and frank way of love I used during the first half of my twenties. I introduced the feeling of wanting an unhesitating, fire-like love. (laugh)” (Sooyoon)


‘I passed the day thinking only of you. I won’t sleep tonight because of thoughts for you’ (Haru), ‘Fall in love, it’s gotten into you, without you knowing. Fall in love, struggle in my eyes’ (Love Toxic). The lyrics on this album are lovely and driven, light and calming. How is each person’s style of falling in different types of love?

“If I fall in love, I’m the type to be 100%, all in. She’ll be number one in my life, and become more important than even work. The last time I dated was three years ago, and if love finds me again I’ll have to be careful. For now, I have to give promotions my undivided attention.” (James)

 “I’m the type to lead at first and then later match my girlfriend’s preferences. It’s been about a year and a half since I’ve last dated. I always have “some” (complicated love relationship). After debut though, I’m not too sure. (laugh)” (Sooyoon) 

“If I take a liking to someone, I’m the type to be rash and snatch her up like a “hawk.” Whether it’s dating or music not being afraid if the most important. If the feeling is right, then, without hesitation, GO. ” (Moon)


image
◇ Soul of Song - Does music also have a soul?

Listening to the most recent songs, at first they’re sweet but soon it’s like a piece of gum falling into sweet waters. This means that though the music industry is brilliantly decorated on the outside, music reveals that on the inside it is nothing but bubbles. In this situation, one’s conviction towards music is determined, and these kids who know the authenticity of music can only look forward to a comeback.

“It is important to have a clear message in the song. If you only stress the sound of the song, its easy to make a song without soul.” (James) 

“The “clear message” that James speaks of is that it is important for a song to have a clear concept. It is important to first is grasping a clear concept, and then deliver a message with emotions. If the concept is romance it must be romantic, if it’s hope then it should be hopeful; I think you have to clearly convey what it is you are trying to make a person feel.” (Moon) 

“We’re trying to make music you can feel as soon as you listen to it. It is not made only to our own satisfaction, but it must be music that people can listen to together and understand.” (Sooyoon) 

They want to create an understanding with the public through use of their music. Though they are looking from the same place, each can have their own thoughts. Were there many troubles on your way to this single goal?

“There aren’t a lot of complications. We have to respect each other’s products and attune to them. Sometimes I think I am correct but I have to accept that I can be wrong. In the end, having an open mind is the most important.” (Moon) 

“Truthfully, attuning ourselves is not the easiest thing to do. When we were working on the last album, there were so many producers and other people that it was hard to make a definite concept. That’s why this album has songs that each of us composed on our own. To be honest there are times when I think to myself that “My idea was better.” (laugh)” (Sooyoon) 

“If anything, I’ve learned a lot from Moon and Sooyoon. One of the reasons I wanted to be a part of this band was to be with these two. After seeing their skills at arrangements, I thought that if we were together, “It would be really fun.” Also, it’s good to have an uneven number when we gather our opinions. Since there are three of us, if we make a vote then it’s easier to come to a decision.” (James)


image
◇ Art is not a competition. 

From their debut the Royal Pirates, who have been known as the rookies who’ve taken up the “flower boy” band lineage, have been walking a particularly unique route. This is because, in comparison to other bands, there’s little to no overlap in terms of musical preferences. 

“Calling us an indie-band may be a little vague, and we’re also not idols. There are no others who have walked in our shoes so it’s hard to pinpoint a rival.” (Sooyoon) 

“We want to make a road that is our own. Art is not a competition. I think everything will be alright if we can just enjoy time together.” (Moon) 

How will the Royal Pirates, who have fallen in love with music, be in ten years?

“It’s my dream to be a long-running band in music. I want us to grow to be those cool “flower middle-aged” ajuhssi, who are role models to others; people who have a good influence.” (Moon) 

“After being known as a global band, I want to represent Asia. It’s my dream to be a band that’s spread all over the world.” (James) 

“I want to be a band who does performances. Broadcasts are good, but I think of those stages as preparation for another performance. I want to be a band that people have high anticipation for, one that people must want to see as soon as “Royal Pirates” is said.” (Sooyoon) 

Simply put, don’t judge them based only on their “flower” appearance. These three tightly-knit men full of the desire to bring peace to Northeast Asia with their robust music and their humorous charm are firmly prepared to become “toxic.”

[ⓒ 매일경제 & mk.co.kr, 무단전재 및 재배포 금지]