Saturday, April 16, 2016

[16.04.16] Star Essay: When I Think Of... (NYLON Korea, November 2015)

image
There are still things they want to say, still much more music they want to make- The band Royal Pirates thinks about the things they need when fantasizing about music.

Moon ►
 
France – I want to write a song that will really suit the atmosphere on the streets of Europe. I’ll be walking down the alleys of Paris and suddenly just sit, write a song, and perform it on the spot.

Between Calm and Passion – There’s a song titled “You” on our first mini album. I wrote it while watching the movie <Between Calm and Passion> …. If you watch, in the last moments of the film the male and female leads go through a long period of time breaking up then making up, again and again, but in the end they break up after all and go their separate ways on the train. Suddenly they change their minds again and get off the train only to meet each other, and they cry. I made the melody for the song while watching this scene.

Rainy Days – When I record demos, instead of doing it in the studio, I’m at home, and the sound of cars outside, the sound of people, the sound of rain- all that becomes recorded. I like it when they’re captured like this. You can hear the sounds of the world, and if they fit with the song they’re not just noise but part of the music. I especially like the sound of rain.

Autumn – Maybe it’s because I like the sentimental feelings, but I think both my music and I are well suited to autumn. But it seems we’ve been releasing our music mostly at the start of summer. [? t/n: Not sure, I can’t really read this line]

Once – I would someday really like to participate in the making of music that can incite people’s feelings, like in the movie <Once>. I think I would really enjoy the making process.

Car – Our music would be good to listen to while driving alone in the early morning. The reason is because I personally like emotional music, and the music I make really suits the mood the best. I’m the type who gets immersed in the mood of the music while I’m driving.

Wardrobe – No matter what situation I’m in, if I’m going to be writing songs, and I’m at home, I will dress sloppily but comfortably. The clothes must be comfortable in order to create a mind at ease.


James ►

300 – While watching the movie <300> I’ve wondered what it would be like to make music like what we hear in the movie. Truthfully, the music I’m good at is emotional music, but the music I like is the heavy and powerful kind. In the movie there’s a scene where father and son fight together, and the moment where the father sees his son dying and tears up and fights angrily- the music in that scene expressed those emotions very well. I want to express that scene through music as well.

My Room – It’s when I’m alone in my room that the most satisfying results come out. In an empty room, no matter where you are, you can sit at a desk and focus.

Bed – It’s right before you fall asleep that you think of all the words you wanted to say during the day, and that’s when I write songs. You can put all the moments you experienced in a day into a song. These days I’ve been writing honest songs that reflect my feelings.

Diamond – Our music has become stronger, and as we polish it, it becomes better. Almost like a diamond. No matter how many tries it takes, I want to make music that everyone can acknowledge and like.

Megaphone – I went somewhere once and the speakers were broken and emitting a “keururu keururu” sound. It was such an interesting sound that I still remember it. I’m starting to think it’d be really fun if I could incorporate this sound into my music. Although, I haven’t been able to try yet.


Sooyoon ►

Begin Again – Truthfully, it would be difficult to work on a song in an outdoors environment due to all the equipment, but I think incorporating the sounds of nature would be really interesting. In the movie <Begin Again> there’s a scene where they’re recording outside. I want to do something like that.

Park – It used to be that I would need to be in a fixed place to work, but recently I’ve learned a way that does not adhere to those restrictions. Even so, if I had to pick a place I like, it’s the park. I want to write a song on a day when the sun is bright in the sky and I can soak it in.

Han River – Among the demo tracks I’ve made before, there used to be one called “The Han River.” I never released it, but I’m personally quite fond of it. I enjoy writing songs about moments in life that just suddenly catch your eye.

Train – A train used to pass by in the neighborhood I used to live in. Hearing the “chugga chugga” of the train passing by reminded me of the beat of a drum. At that time I wondered what it would be like to record a song that had the sound of that train together with the sound of my drum. It’s like making a harmony.

Pen & Paper – Nowadays lyrics are thought of and recorded down on my cellphone’s memo, but I feel that lyrics written with a pen on paper come out the best. Although electronics are easy to use, when writing with a pen and paper- erasing and writing again, when translating- I think about (the lyrics) a lot more.

Americano – The key to coffee is its scent and flavor, and rather than adding anything to it, I enjoy Americanos. Like an Americano- without the recipes and formulas, it doesn’t lose its inherent flavor- that’s the type of music I want to make.

Little Prince – I really like the book “The Little Prince.” The characters that appear in the book are really varied. There are rich people who are not happy, people who only do hard labor, people who calculate their every move- I think it would be interesting and new to express all these types of characters through music.


► Scan provided by Royal Pirates Official (x)
English translations by SSRP (heymeowmao)