Saturday, October 10, 2015

[October 2015] NYLON - Star Essay: We Will Rock You (Interview)


Always a supporter of the fresh and young, NYLON has met with the band Royal Pirates. Amongst the diverse talk of music and bands, we first asked them about what their first encounters with music were.
(Above: Royal Pirates for NYLON Korea cr. comet006)


Moon

Q. Which album are you holding in your hands?
A. It’s one of The Beatles’ many famous records called [HELP!]. It is named after and comprised of the songs featured in their film of the same name, Help!; I liked this fresh approach. I think that this experimental side of The Beatles- who had fun with making the music they wanted to- is really interesting.


Q. Which musician was it that made you want to be part of a band?
A. Muse. I will never forget the shock I got when I first heard their song “Stockholm Syndrome” on the radio.


Q. When was the first time you came in contact with a guitar?
A. When I was little I was extremely into playing games on the Playstation. A hyung I knew told me to stop, and said that he would sell my console for me. However, the person he sold it to gave him counterfeit money in return. He was scammed. He was so sorry that he gave me a guitar he used- it was old and wasn’t even a name brand. That was my first guitar.


Q. Why did you venture into rock music?
A. There are just these moments as you live. I think the fact that I became part of a band who played rock music was just one of those moments. The first music I ever heard, the first music to give me a shock, the first that I ever liked, was all music made by a band.


Q. What was the first thing you did after having decided you would start a band?
A. When I was younger I lived in America, and the first place people who want to be in a band go to is a place called the Guitar Center. If you compare it to Korea, it would be a place like the Nakwon Music Market, somewhere that has almost every instrument. It was there that I bought a really small amp and an electric guitar.


Q. What was the first album you bought?
A. HOT’s third album and the Titanic OST. I bought them both on tape. I think I listened to these two albums until I got older.


Q. Of the albums you possess, which is most precious to you and which do you find disappointing?
A. The ones I find most precious are the ones that came out before the musicians were known, and the ones I’m disappointed in are all albums that came out after they were famous.


Sooyoon


Q. Which album are you holding in your hands?
A. Deulgukhwa (Chrysanthemum)’ s [March]. Even though it is old music, it’s not dated at all and has lyrics that can relate to any generation. I feel they are a band that has surpassed music to create one culture, so I respect them a lot.


Q. When was your first encounter with rock music?
A. The song called ‘Line Up” on HOT’s third album. At the time I didn’t know that the song was considered rock. Listening to it now, it does have many rock elements to it.


Q. Which musician was it that made you want to be part of a band?
A. Jars of Clay


Q. When was your first encounter with the drums?
A. I first started learning how to play properly in high school after watching the movie “Drumline.” I really wanted to have a drum set, so I saved up the $2-$3 for lunch everyday and ended up saving about $200. Seeing how badly I wanted a drum set, my father even took some emergency money and bought one for me. It was a Yamaha Stage Custom drum set and ended up costing about $1000.


Q. Why did you venture into rock music?
A. Without having a particular preference before, I used to listen to a lot of music but I found that I liked- and still like- rock the best. There was no helping it. Personally, I also like Eminem’s music and listen to it often but I still like Queen more.


Q. What was the first thing you did after having decided you would start a band?
A. Making a name for the band. The first name was “Unchained,” meaning that we wouldn’t be held back by any genre of music. At the time we also made a homepage. Since we were “Unchained” we found a picture of a broken chain and uploaded it.


Q. What was the first album you bought?
A. Switchfoot’s album, [Meant to Live].


Q. Of the albums you possess, which is most precious to you and which do you find disappointing?
A. In America there were such things as garage sales, where people would sell goods from their garages. I bought a Beethoven LP from one. The funny thing is this is also the album that I most regret. Actually, I didn’t even have an LP player, so I couldn’t even listen to it. Haha.


James


Q. Which album are you holding in your hands?
A. Daft Punk’s [Discovery]. This is their second studio album after their debut. It had a much more mature sound that before, and what I like about it is that it is unique. When you look at bands, most times they fall prey to what is called the “sophomore jinx” and their second album will always fall flat. I think this album shattered that notion. They faced a new challenge and were able to create something of their own color, and I really felt the impact of it.


Q. When was your first encounter with rock music?
A. There’s a very famous trio called Blink182. Listening to it now, it wasn’t very smart music, but it was the trend at the time. It was music that fit well with the American lifestyle.


Q. Which musician was it that made you want to be part of a band?
A. It’s Blink182. Truthfully, the bassist’s skills aren’t very good. Watching their performances, I started to think that if I practiced a little harder, that I could make it.


Q. What is the charm of rock music?
A. Bands have their own clear sound. I think a lot of bands are like that.


Q. What do you do when you hear something you like?
A. I put on my headphones, close my eyes, and imagine. I focus on where the music is coming from and why. I can’t watch the music video first. If you do that then the expanse of your imagination shrinks.


Q. What was the first thing you did after having decided you would start a band?
A. Recklessly composing. It was really not very good. Haha. The first song I ever wrote was for my uncle’s birthday, titled “Joy.” As soon as he heard it he thanked me and gave me $90.


Q. Of the albums you possess, which is most precious to you?
A. The Beatles’ Compilation Album [ONE]. There was, of course, rock music made before this but the beginnings of rock music for me started with this album.


Recommended Albums featured in the Picture:
1. Deulgukhwa [March] (1985)
2. The Beatles [HELP!] (1965)
3. The Beatles [Rubber Soul] (1965)
4. Kraftwerk [Autobahn] (2013)


Picture cr. comet006 | Scan/Transcription provided by jisoossi
Translations by setsailroyalpirates (heymeowmao)