Monday, February 13, 2017

[17.02.13 - Interview] Royal Pirates Moon Kim - First Solo Album :: Dark Chocolate

Moon Kim has come back in time for Valentine’s Day!

As the cold and dull winter comes to pass, Royal Pirates’ Moon Kim comes back to fans, bringing with him sweet and romantic feelings.
Part 1 - My Sweetheart - My Valentine’s Day!
We ask Moon Kim!

Q. What type of girl do you like?
A. I tend to get crushes on feminine girls, who have a nice voice. I like someone with an innocent appearance, but cute charms as well. I say this but I’m drawn to those who match my personality.

Q. Have you ever confessed to someone on Valentine’s before?
A. I’m not as caring or detailed as I think I am. I can’t really say sweet things that make me cringe, so it’s more comfortable to express myself through actions more than words. A long time ago there used to be someone I liked, and I could never really tell her I liked her. One day I just went for it and kissed her on the cheek but she was shy and laughed. That’s one time I expressed my feelings for another.

Q. Do you have a special memory surrounding Valentine’s Day?
A. I have a sort of sad memory of Valentine’s Day. Instead of giving the girl I loved a confession or chocolates, I gave her a goodbye. I think I felt really lonely and isolated. So that memory for me is like dark chocolate. It’s really bittersweet but you can still taste the sweetness… To me, Valentine’s is beautiful and sad- it’s a day where both types of memories coexist.


Part 2 - Album Introduction
Moon Kim’s specialty is in sweet feelings. “Dark Chocolate” is a Valentine’s song you can trust in and listen to.

Q. This is your first solo, the first you’ve produced- your first album. Tell us more about the song.
A. This song “Dark Chocolate” has the basics of Royal Pirates’ sound- sweet elements paired with electronic piano, urban elements., and a tropical sound. It gives off a sweet feeling, and is easy to listen to. Can I say- it’s a song that as you listen to, makes you smile and think of happy memories?

Now that the long, cold winter has passed, the excitement of spring is coming. I wrote this song for anyone who is feeling lonely or sad, in the hopes that I could melt their hearts with this sweet chocolate.

From now on, have no regrets and find a warm and giving love~~

Q. We heard you made this song four years ago. What’s the reason you decided to release it now?
A. For the past year the members really worked hard on producing an album of our own. For about a month we were in LA and held a song camp with some current musicians. Through that experience we perfected and even recorded many songs! After we finished our shedules at the end of the year and were preparing to make our comeback, the health of our member James progressively got worse and for the time being we had to put our activities on hold again.

Our fans had already been waiting so long to hear our new album, and on top of not being able to give it to them, we also had to relay this sad news. It was hard on us. In that time, we went back and looked through the songs we had made before, when times were lighter. Among those songs “Dark Chocolate” was one that many people liked.

My vocal tone had changed from when I first composed the song, so I took it and rearranged it. The song is so sincere, and I’m really happy it gets to be exposed to the world now! More than anything, I worked hard to finished this song so we could give all our fans a small Valentine’s gift, before our official comeback.

Sooyoon says he has something prepared for the fans as well, so please anticipate it ^^

Q. Is there someone you want to recommend “Dark Chocolate” to?
A. The theme if the song is love. No matter what form love takes, I think it provides the most healing and is the powerhouse in a person’s life.

Loving someone and being loved by someone- that is the happiest and most important thing in the world. I want to listen to this song with those in who are already in love, and with those working hard to find love.

I hope that while you listen to this song every day can be Valentine’s for you!!

Part 3 - Hidden Details in the MV
Moon Kim’s character was made like this. Find the hidden details in the MV!

Q. The character in the animated video looks really familiar. Is it you?
A. Haha. That’s right. Truthfully I had only planned on releasing the track itself. A designer in our company thought it was a shame, and made a sweet clip to go with the song. As we repeated it, the clip got longer and then we had an animated music video.

You can tell by looking, but there are scenes where the main character is imagining things- in actuality I am also the type to contemplate and get lost in daydreams.

With that, I feel like I myself am integrated into the video!

Q. We heard there’s something hidden in the video…?
(Moon Kim drew these himself)

Sometimes when I am bored I have the habit of drawing scribbles like in a manhwa. They knew I did that and suggested I draw a few characters and… if you look closely in the MV you can see some poorly drawn characters, and those are mine. I always have an interest in Guan Yu, Son Goku, aliens (and dog)- those out-of-the-blue drawings are mine. I thought it would be fun for viewers to see those things, so we put them in the video. Please find Moon Kim’s hidden drawings, and listen to “Dark Chocolate” lots!

You are my True Valentine~~!!


Naver Music
► English translations by setsailroyalpirates~~